EDMT Fellowship for High School Theater Instructors
The EDMT Fellowship is a unique educational opportunity designed to dramatically expand a teacher’s experience in presenting high-level musical productions. The selected participating teacher will spend two weeks with El Dorado Musical Theatre getting a hands-on, behind-the-scenes experience that takes the cast:
- through their final week of rehearsal
- through load-in at the theater
- through the final tech week
- through the opening weekend of the production.
Purpose: The EDMT Fellowship was created to raise the level of performing arts education in the region by providing a practical learning experience for producing musical theater at an exceptional level. The expectation is that the teacher will take this knowledge back to raise the standard of excellence in their own program.
Specific activities will include:
- Observing the artistic staff in the final week of rehearsals prior to move in.
- Meeting with the costuming staff to gain an understanding of the costuming process and how it integrates into the show experience.
- Meeting with the makeup designer to learn how makeup designs are created for the show and how to instruct young performers on effective stage makeup application.
- Meeting with the set production team to see the final stages of set production for the show.
- Participating in the technical load-in at the theater. This includes sets, costumes, and props. This also includes working with the stage manager to understand how they coordinate the show elements.
- Observe the process of setting up the stage lighting to fully execute the lighting design.
- Working with the sound engineers to experience microphone techniques for performers and sound mixing for performances.
- Observe in the final rehearsals which set up the opening night.
- Observe the opening shows of the run of our summer production.
Fellowship Time Frame: June 25 – July 7, 2018
Locations: EDMT rehearsal facility in El Dorado Hills, CA and the Harris Center for the Performing Arts in Folsom, CA
Eligibility: Applicant must be an active, high school theater instructor/director in Sacramento, Placer, or El Dorado Counties.
Application Deadline: Applications must be submitted by March 30, 2018. Results will be announced on or before April 13, 2018.
Application Requirements: The application should include the following information:
1. Who are you? (Tell us about yourself.)
2. Where is your program located?
3. What is your experience level?
4. What are your dreams for your program?
5. What are the challenges you face?
6. How do you believe that this experience will help you, your students, and your program?
Questions? Please email Rick Wilson at rickwilson@EDMT.info.